Sunday, January 2, 2011

Communicating with Social Intensity

I went back over the last year and reviewed how I had communicated with my clients.

What I saw was a very real shift to the use of texting. For the first time, the primary means of communication was through texting, not phone calls, not email. Text messages made up at least 75% of my communication with my clients. And as a result, we communicated more often and more efficiently. It really worked for all involved.

Here, in order, are the means of communication that keep your clients more informed than ever.

Text-quick and unobtrusive.
Text a voice memo-use when a little more detail is needed. Just recently started using voice memo texting, it is great!
Phone call-only on important issues or when only a detailed discussion will do.
E-mail-a more lengthy discussion or a need to send required attachments. I would often send a text letting my client know to check their email later. When using e-mail, my expectation and need for a response would not be for a few hours or day or more. Generally, no issues of urgency.

Another great use of texting that clients respect, if I'm in a meeting or in a situation where answering a phone call would be rude, my clients get an immediate text response letting them know I saw that they called and I will respond as soon as I am out of the meeting.

They know that you know that they are there.

Do you use more text messaging in your personal and business communication? Has it made you more responsive and more efficient?

No comments:

Post a Comment